USEFUL TOOLS & TIPS
WE GIVE SERVICE A GOOD NAME
If you're here looking for work, we're here to help you. We want to build a relationship, not just fill a job placement. Whether you are new to the job market or new to New Zealand, we can help you navigate your way through the process, and find employment that suits your abilities. Register Now.
CREATE A GOOD CV
This is your chance to catch a potential employer's eye, so you need to make sure your CV makes a good impression. Make it clear, professional and well-written.
- Do not use a whole page as a cover for your CV
- List your most recent work history first, then work backwards
- Make sure the information you give is relevant to the job you are applying for
- All personal details, phone number etc, must be up-to-date
- Check for spelling, grammar and formatting, then check again.
- Layout and design of your CV must be clear, consistent and easy to read
- If possible, keep it to 2-3 A4 pages
- Only include references if you've been asked for them. Otherwise write "Available on Request". Then always make sure your referees know that they may be contacted, and always provide their correct contact details.
Make sure you continue the good impression by having a professional sounding voicemail / answer phone message, and email address. Use the cover letter to go with the CV, to highlight the skills you have that are relevant to the job you are applying for, and your reasons for wanting this job.
CV Builder is an easy to use online tool that will create a CV based on the information you enter.
BE PREPARED AT THE JOB INTERVIEW
Being interviewed can be extremely stressful, especially if you're not used to them. Minimise your stress by being prepared. Allow plenty of time to get to the interview. Look up the address and check on public transport timetables or that the car has petrol. Practice answering possible questions:
- Why do you want this job?
- In your previous roles, what did you enjoy the most?
- What do you know about the company?
- What are long-term / short-term goals?
- What are your strengths / weaknesses?
For more tips, visit the Careers NZ site.
DRESS TO IMPRESS
It is always better to be over-dressed than under-dressed when going for an interview.
- Clothes should be clean and tidy
- Hair should be clean and brushed
- Men should shave that morning
- Dress appropriately: You are judged by how you look; if you turn up in overalls for a front-line job, your possible employer will not be impressed.
GET A CRIMINAL HISTORY CHECK
In order to obtain your criminal conviction history information you will need to download and complete this form. It will help speed up the process if you bring the completed form with you when you attend an interview: Download the criminal conviction history form
TIPS FOR TEMPS
Here are our Temp Tips to help things go smoothly:
- Good communication is essential.
- YOU need to phone US if you want work.
- Phone each weekday morning between 7:00 - 8:00 am if you are available.
- Phone us if you are going to be late or can’t go to work.
- Be reliable. If you say you are going to work, make sure you do.
- Be positive. Give a good impression.
- If you need to wear safety gear, make sure you do.
- Have reliable transport.
- When working, either fill out a time sheet or sign in, as directed by the client.
- If you wish to finish up at a job, you must give us notice, as per your contract.