WORKING IN NEW ZEALAND
NZ IMMIGRATION LAWS
If you have specialist skills or work in an area of skills shortage, and have a qualification that is comparable to those that New Zealand employers are used to, you’ll find that there are great career opportunities for you here. For more information visit Work in NZ, which covers skill shortage areas, industry profiles, tips on job hunting and more.
GET AN IRD NUMBER
An IRD number is an eight or nine digit number unique to you. It is important as all your tax, entitlement and personal details are linked to this number.
You need an IRD number if you:
- earn income from any source, including a job, benefit or pension
- open a bank account or join KiwiSaver
- apply for a student loan or child support
- start a company or go into business
- file tax returns
- apply for Working for Families Tax Credits